Thursday, January 3, 2013

formal introduction

After posting the last, I see that the image is not that great... I will see what I can do with that...

Meanwhile, I've spent quite a bit of time compiling the old CWRQ & ODQ files along with the "introduction" to PBEM from the old site and it's all one long document now. I'm working on sharing it via Google Docs or DropBox or some other web 2.0 way. Until then, though, here's the eight players in this event -


Chris Johnson (one of my dueling buddies growing up and creator of the MHDD)
Curt Lindmark (current maintainer of the MHDD)
Eric Freeman (former head ref of the AADA)
Brent York (another dueling buddy from long ago)
Craig York (another one)
Gary Horder (from Dark-Wind)
Roger Burton West (from ??? - SJG forums maybe?)
Tonic (also from Dark-Wind)

And the MHDD - the MADHAT Duel Designer - is the way I'll be checking and keeping up with everyone's designs. The latest incarnation is attached to this post...

Also - here's the opening information from the document I mentioned above - 

Introduction to MADHAT PBEM Games. This document last updated 1-3-13 and incorporates the CWRQ and ODQ. 

Good day, dueling fans! You are invited to enjoy a fast growing aspect of autodueling: PBEM (Play by E-Mail). The rules are the same as “in person” Car Wars games using the official AADA rules from Car Wars Compendium 2nd Edition 5th Printing as well as Uncle Al's Catalog from Hell. I also use rules clarifications modified from the published works of Eric Freeman. Any AADA legal item will be allowed, including items appearing in Pyramid Magazine.
  
I will be the sole referee. Final decisions, rules as well as judgment calls, will be left to me alone. I will entertain initial “suggestions” such as “I think this maneuver will keep my front left tire out of his front arc of fire” or “that’s not going to cause a hazard is it?” I will make a ruling and, if needed, quote the rules or this document to explain my ruling. 

By playing in my games, you agree to allow the use of your name and/or vehicle details in future web use, podcasts, emails, etc. I don't spam lists, but I do send out announcements, etc., to all current players, past players & people who have expressed interest. For bulk items, I try and BCC everyone to protect your identity.
I will make all dice rolls. Modifiers and rolls will be shared with the person who would normally roll, but no one else.
  
We will follow this sequence of play…
  
The particulars of each duel will be announced ahead of time. The arena, the division, any weather conditions, limits to number of crew, etc.
  
There will sometimes be recurring characters. Recurring characters and their skill points are the responsibility of the owning player.
Unless a specific event calls for an exception, all crew will follow the same method of using skill points. Namely, 30 points to be assigned any way you see fit with a maximum of 20 in any one skill.
  
Once all vehicles are submitted and any problems are resolved, I will post walkarounds. Gates will usually be determined randomly. Also, unless you tell me differently, the following defaults will apply - Gas Engine or PP will be in the front; Gas Tank, if any, in the back; Driver on the left; Gunner on the right; HTM's ON; Bumper Triggers active; weapon links active.

All movement for a phase will be turned in at one time. Movement will be resolved normally based on speed. Feel free to give detailed conditional movement, such as "if Car 12 moves straight I'll make a D3 right, but if he turns right I'll bake a D5 right" or "if Trike 16 turns left I'll match his left bend" or anything else you would like to do. If you request it, I can show you all the movement up until the point you move. You must let me know, though, in order to keep the game moving quickly.
  
Any movement of more than one inch will automatically be handled in alternating movement. No one is required to request this.
  
Once all movement is resolved, I will update the map and the play-by-play and send an email to everyone. Combat will be turned in at one time as well, but all combat will occur simultaneously.
  
I will then take all modifiers into consideration and roll the dice. If you fire, you will know what you rolled, as well as the rolls for damage. If you are fired upon, you will know the amount of damage, but not the die rolls. You will also know the result on your vehicle. If you are not directly involved in the combat, you will know who attacked who and what the obvious results are (armor breached, metal armor blown off, wheel hub damaged but intact, etc.) as part of the play by play.
  
In the case of dropped weapons, the person being damaged will know the amount of damage, but not the die rolls. No one else, including the dropper, will know the die rolls or the amount of damage.
  
Then we will go to the next phase…
  
This will go on through phase five. At the end of phase five I will roll for fire, roll for extinguisher success, apply fire damage and check for explosion. As in combat, anything occurring to your vehicle will be shared with you in detail; anything occurring to someone else’s vehicle will be shared with you in visible terms. HC recovery will then be applied and an email sent to each player asking for speed for the next turn. Once speeds are turned in, a movement request will be sent.
  
If you ever decide to change speed in the middle of a turn, the best time to tell me is during the Combat Request for the current phase, then speed will be changed for the beginning of the next phase. If you ever want to check speed before turning in movement, you are allowed to do so, just let me know so I can "restart the clock."
  
And the cycle continues…
  
There is a "24 hour" rule which simply means you have 24 hours from the time I send the email to respond to movement or combat requests. If you fail to respond, you will either move straight or make no combat action that phase. If you fail to respond to three "24 hour" turnarounds in a row, you will be considered AWOL and I will not wait for you to turn in moves. You will continue straight and at the same speed with no combat actions until you email me again. At that time you will not be AWOL and I will wait the 24 hours for you. I also reserve the right to bring in a replacement player to control your car. Once this is done, it will be up to that person to relinquish control back to you. If they choose, they may finish the event. If they go AWOL and you come back, you will have first chance at getting your car back.

There will be no private communication between players. Anything said is said to all. If you'd like to tell another player something, you can either send that person an email and CC everyone else (including me) or you can send me exactly what you want to say and I will send it to everyone in that duel with emphasis to the person you are speaking to. This will be role-played as radio chatter.
  
Are you game? If so, email me for the details of the next duel to occur. If you have a favorite arena or division, let me know.

Also, feel free to ask questions if any of this is unclear. This is supposed to be fun! :-)

Jimmy Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment